“While I cursed you every time I received a round of edits on job documents, the process empowered me as a job seeker and scholar. Between our one-on-one work, your webinars, and the blog, I came to know what I offer academia and the kind of scholarly community I want to join. I also learned how to present myself as a professional, and to be confident in which of the academic ‘games’ I simply was not going to play” 2013 Ph.D., Education, tenure track job at a SLAC
email me to schedule any of these services
JOB/POSTDOC RELATED SERVICES
- Academic Job Application Materials
- When working together on your job documents for academic positions, we will go back and forth through edits until the documents are in short-list-worthy state. Up to four edit drafts are included in the one hour of work, and the process takes about one week per document. Most people ask me to work on 3 or 4 documents–job letter, cv, and teaching statement, and research statement. One document is one hour of work. 3 hours of work at $125/hour, with the 10% discount for 3-4 hours, comes to $337.50. If you need to add a fourth document, such as a two-three page research statement, the total will come to $450. There is a 15% discount for 5-9 hours, and a 20% discount for 10+ hours. Once we decide on the hours needed, we set a date on the calendar and I invoice you, and payment of the invoice holds the spot.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Materials (4 drafts)
- I edit your postdoc applications to demonstrate the principles of urgency, legitimacy, and viability. The cost of postdoc work depends on the number of documents required and their page length. Most postdoc packages will typically come to about 4-6 hours. A 1-2 page research proposal by itself will take 2 hours, 3-6 page proposal will take 3 hours, and a 7-12 page proposal will require 4 hours. A postdoc cover letter requires an hour. This work is also $125/hour. If you want to work on multiple postdocs, I’ll also inquire how much recycling or overlap you think is possible between the applications, and reduce the cost accordingly.
- Post-Tenure Job Application Materials (ie, for tenured clients; 4 drafts):
- This work is identical to the Academic Job Application work above; I simply charge the tenured more! The cost is $150 per document or hour of work. The same discounts apply: 10% for 3-4 hours, 15% for 5-9 hours, and 20% for 10+ hours.
- Tenure and Promotion Documents
- I do reviews and edits of tenure packages, including the statements of research, teaching, and service. I can also review your CV according to the formatting requirements of your tenure process. I can also consult on choosing external reviewers, handling complicated cases, and answer other queries related to the tenure process. The cost of tenure review help is $200/hour and I can estimate the number of hours once you tell me what exactly is required for your particular institution’s process. The usual discounts explained above apply.
- Job Talk Editing:
- I edit Job Talks taking into account both general presentation principles as well as any specific instructions you have been given. I read for professionalism of approach, clarity and organization, persuasiveness, quality of evidence and argumentation, balance of data and theory, and soundness of conclusion. A Job Talk edit requires two hours at $125/hour, totalling $250, plus (only in the cases where a rush edit is necessary due to timing) a reduced rush fee of $100 = $350. This covers two drafts of edits of your job talk.
- Offer/Negotiation Assistance
- I assist you in evaluating the offer, clarifying your requests, crafting email and verbal communications, interpreting responses, and knowing how hard to push and when to stop. Most clients increase their offer by thousands of dollars in salary, research support, travel support, moving expenses, etc. Negotiating Assistance is $400/first week, and a week is virtually always sufficient (it goes down to $300, and then $200 for subsequent weeks in the extremely rare event that this is necessary). I count the week as 7 days of work, and they don’t have to be sequential. We can start immediately, and I make myself available by email and gchat for the quick turnaround of responses required by most negotiations. While I technically don’t work on weekends, for NA clients only I check in to keep up with and respond to urgent updates.
- Ongoing “Retainer” Fee for job market-related queries and consultations.
- Only for previous document editing clients, I will arrange for a Retainer Fee to answer up to four emails per month on job search-related questions. These are small questions, such as “what should I wear to the interview?” or “Should I tell the committee about my new grant?” These are not major career consultations! (That service is below–please keep reading!). The cost for the Retainer Fee is $85 for up to four emails per month.
- Grant Application Editing: $125/hour (# of hours depends on number of pages in application)
- I edit your Grant Applications to demonstrate the principles of urgency, legitimacy, and viability through the application of the Foolproof Grant Template. The cost of Grant work depends on the number of documents required and their page length. A 1-2 page grant proposal by itself will take 2 hours, 3-6 page proposal will take 3 hours, and a 7-12 page proposal will require 4 hours. This work is also $125/hour. If you want to work on multiple grants, I’ll also inquire how much recycling or overlap you think is possible between the applications, and reduce the cost accordingly. Please note that I primarily work on social science and humanities grants. I do, however, work on science grants on a case by case basis, and am happy to discuss it with you. The usual discounts explained above apply.
- Syllabi/Course Proposals
- I assist you in developing your Syllabi and Course Proposals, which I’ve come to understand are much harder for new scholars to develop than one would imagine. I read them for wording and organization, but also for content, level of rigor, reading load, and appropriateness of language and work load for the level and type of student/institution. These are 1 hour each, at $125/hour for four drafts of edits.
- Single Article or Chapter Manuscript Editing:
- On a case-by-case basis I edit Article or Chapter Mss. I am not a copyeditor! I read for organization and language, soundness of evidence and argumentation, balance of data and theory, and suitability for the journal being targeted. The cost is $200/hour and the number of hours depends on the page length of the mss., but in most cases, the cost is 2 hours for one draft of edits or 3 hours for two drafts. The usual discounts explained above apply.
- Book Proposal Editing and Consulting: $150/hour
- I love to work on Book Proposals! I show you how to organize a Book Proposal to include all the required elements, and to focus on the marketing aspects instead of the excessive scholarly detail that inexperienced scholars mistakenly include. The standard 6-8 page book proposal is 3 hours, and the cost is $150/hour. The discounts explained above apply.
- Book Mss. Editing: [discontinued].
- General Career Coaching/Mentoring/Advising
- Career consulting about the academic career track by email; it is $300 for 5 substantive exchanges on email about any quandaries related to the academic career, including publication plans, departmental politics, or the decision to leave academia. Please be aware that I ask most career consulting clients to do at least one document edit with me first (either CV or CL) so that I have a holistic knowledge of your record before starting.
- Normal turn-around time is 2-4 business days. I do not work on weekends or holidays.
- Rush responses and scheduling available. Rush Fees apply:
- Any work that is scheduled prior to my earliest open date for new work (which is typically 1-2 months ahead–but please inquire as it’s always ebbing and flowing!), will require payment of $200 or more above regular rates
- Guaranteed same-week turnaround: add $300 to regular rates, pending availability
- Advance Payment Required After Initial Arrangements by Email
- Forms of Payment Accepted:
- Paypal (I will invoice you once we have set up a consultation plan)