One on One. Face to Face.
Like you, we have faced the gauntlet of stressful academic social interactions: the preparation insecurity of the Skype interview; the performance anxiety of the campus visit; the abject terror of the conference hotel lobby; and let’s not forget the glass clutching awkwardness of the post-symposium cocktail party. We have seen (and in all honesty committed) the babbling, insufferable, embarrassing gaffes that submarine job market success. Do you go on far too long about things no one else can relate to? Have you found yourself stumbling awkwardly through (over?) a conversation without a clear message or endpoint? How often do you miss opportunities to SHOW rather than tell who you are, where you can contribute and how you fit?
So many opportunities to be a comfortable member of a scholarly community, so many failures to do so.
What we know after more than 20 years of participant observation: From conferences to colloquia, from interviews to campus visits, successful scholars learn to come out of their heads and communicate! We are here to help you make that leap.
The Professor is In offers four different services to help you successfully showcase your research, teaching philosophy and potential for tenure:
- The Interview Intervention: A 50-minute Skype session during which we move through a mock interview, stopping after each question to evaluate every answer for its strengths and weaknesses in terms of brevity, spin, word choice, tone, body language, etc., and refining it for effectiveness. Book your Interview Intervention appointment HERE.
- The Job Talk Strategy Intervention: A 50-minute Skype Intervention, during which Kellee will walk you through the mission, ethos, structure and goals of a Job Talk with SPECIFIC attention to your research as it relates to the job call. We will work on a section outline with guidelines on what you need to be sure to include and avoid. We will also touch briefly on presentation (powerpoint) and delivery dos and don’ts.
- The Job Talk Intervention: A 50-minute Skype session focusing on the most important sections —the opening, the meat of the research, and the contribution/conclusion. For each section we will evaluate your organization, approach, balance of theory and data, wording, body language, speech patterns, effectiveness of visuals, etc., with particular attention to the effectiveness of the talk for the particular job. (If you are concerned that your job talk is incorrectly or poorly organized, you might consider The Professor is In’s Job Talk Editing service PRIOR to the intervention. (Email Dr. Karen to schedule a job talk edit) Book your Job Talk Intervention appointment HERE.
- The Campus Visit Intervention: A 50-minute Skype session during which we move through the standard meetings of a campus visit, working on changing your message for different audiences as well as strategies for showcasing your fit. Just as with the Interview intervention we pay close attention to brevity, word choice, tone, body language, etc., and refining your delivery for effectiveness. Book your Campus Visit Intervention appointment HERE.
- Let’s Talk: A 50-minute Skype conversation covering the topic(s) of your choice regarding productivity. Let me help you get out of your own way and get published! Book your Let’s Talk Session HERE.
- Academic Life Reboot Strategy Session: A 90-Minuste session that includes assessment of current challenges, including identification of what’s got you stuck; strategies for overcoming those barriers, organizational and accountability tools and personalized goal achievement plan. Book your Academic Life Reboot Session HERE.