Special November Event–
A Live Workshop in Chicago
MASTERING THE ACADEMIC JOB MARKET
A LIVE WORKSHOP WITH DR. KAREN
When: Saturday, November 23 6:30-8
Where: Clark Adams Conference Room, Elephant and Castle, 111 Adams Street, Chicago
In this 90 minute live and interactive workshop, I will explain the fundamental principles and practices of the tenure track academic job search. My goal is to demystify this little-understood process, and help you gain the knowledge and skills you need to understand the true obstacles, overcome the daunting challenges, and make your best possible case for a tenure track position.
The event will feature live Interview Interventions with willing volunteers. Ready to get the live Intervention experience? I’ll put you on the schedule for intensive one-on-one practice.
We will cover:
The politics and agendas of the academic job search in a downsizing academy
The 5 class errors of “green” job seekers
The elements of a competitive CV
Fundamentals of scholarly self-promotion
Interview techniques that work, and pitfalls to avoid
Throughout the event, abundant time for Q and A with participants.
My promise: I will answer your questions, confirm your suspicions, fill in gaps in your knowledge, and provide a counterpoint to evasions and misinformation possibly circulating around your department. Attendance is capped at 20. This is an interactive conversation. Please join me.
[This is held in conjunction with the AAA (Anthro) meetings in Chicago but is open to anyone from any discipline. The odd time of day reflects the dinner break in the AAA schedule. You are welcome to bring food to eat during the workshop!]
I am available for virtual or in-person workshops and seminars.
* 1 hour Skype workshop or webinar for student groups.
*1.5 hour Skype workshop or webinar for departments.
*1.5-2 hour Skype workshops or webinars for departments, graduate colleges or advising centers.
*1.5-2 hour Skype workshops or webinars for businesses.
I am available for in-person workshops in 2-hour, 4-hour, and all-day formats.
My workshops are tailored to the specific needs of the audience. Topics include:
Big Picture Context
- The causes and effects of the current Ph.D. job market crisis
- Facts and figures of Ph.D. hiring, now and in the future
- The crisis in Ph.D. advising–why are Ph.D.s so ill-prepared for the market?
- The unacknowledged cultural norms and judgments of the US academic job market
Hands-On Training for Job Candidates in Academic Job Market Preparation
- The 6 things every Ph.D. needs to know when preparing for the market
- How to prepare for the academic job market from your first year of graduate school
- How to craft your cv, job letter, and teaching statement
- How to think like a search committee
- The core elements of an academic interview
- Demonstrating tenurability
- The Foolproof Grant Template–How to use it, Why it works
- How to think like a selection committee
- The Hero-narrative of grant-writing
The Non-Academic Track
- Non-academic jobs for Ph.D.s
- Deciding when to make the jump
- Crafting a job application for a non-academic job
Hands-On Training for Programs/Advisors in Ph.D. Advising Resources and Methods
- What graduate advisors and programs need to do right now to help their students
- The most common Ph.D./grad school advising pitfalls
- Preparing Ph.D.s for non-academic work
- The best resources for grad school/Ph.D. advisors
Please contact me at email@example.com to discuss your specific group’s goals and needs and to discuss rates. I enjoy working with groups and am happy to tailor my presentation to your interests.