“Karen is hilarious and gives excellent advice” ~ 2015 workshop participant
“We have received universally positive feedback from attendees and I personally found the talk illuminating. We had 93 attendees with 30 departments represented. Attendees ranged from PhD students up to professors. We are absolutely delighted with this turn out.” ~2016 workshop organizer, UK Russell Group university
“Thanks for a terrific talk yesterday! Your candor and the breadth of what you covered in a very short time was impressive,” R1 Graduate Career Services Director
I have given in person and virtual talks, workshops and keynote addresses at many institutions, and to many groups, large and small, including:
- Brandeis University
- Duke University
- Brown University
- Harvard University
- Tufts University
- University of California Santa Barbara
- CUNY Graduate Center
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- New York University
- Oregon State University
- Purdue University
- University of California, Riverside
- Moffitt Cancer Center (Postdoc Program)
- University of Oregon
- University of Washington
- University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- University of South Florida
- University of Maryland
- Syracuse University
- Washington State University
- University of New Mexico
I will be on a UK and European speaking tour in April 2016 which includes Cambridge, Oxford, Kings College London, London School of Economics, University of Warwick, University of Aberdeen, University of St. Andrews, and University of Edinburgh, Roskilde University in Denmark, and University of Zurich in Switzerland.
I regularly speak at disciplinary association meetings; these include the American Anthropological Association and the American Astronomical Society. For bio and promotional photos please see here.
“Thanks again for the wonderful presentations. The audience feedback in person and on their forms was unanimously extremely positive. I think everyone felt lucky to have had the chance to meet you.”
My workshops are tailored to the specific needs of the audience–contact me to inquire about details and rates.
*1.5 hour Skype workshop or webinar for departments or student groups.
*1.5-2 hour Skype workshops or webinars for departments, graduate colleges or advising centers.
I am available for in-person workshops in 2-hour, 4-hour, and all-day formats.
“Thank you so much for the fantastic workshop today! As expected, the students loved you (every evaluation indicated a 5 out of 5, and several have stopped me in the hallway to thank me already).”
Hacking the Academic Job Market
- Hacking the Academic Job Market (can include interview role play if an in-person event)
- Graduate School As a Means to a Job (includes academic and post-ac content)
- How To Write an Academic Job Application–Cover Letter, CV, Teaching Statement, Research Statement
- How to Write Successful Grant and Postdoc Applications
- Campus Visits
- Negotiating Your Tenure Track Offer
Surviving the Tenure Track
- Surviving Your First Year on the Tenure Track
- Managing Your Career Once You Have a Job
- Building Your Tenure File
- Finding Mentors, Mentoring Others
- Seeking Your Second Job
- The Foolproof Grant Template–How to use it, Why it works
- How to think like a selection committee
- The Hero-narrative of grant-writing
- Adapting and tailoring applications
The Non-Academic Track
- Non-academic jobs for Ph.D.s
- Deciding when to make the jump
- Crafting a job application for a non-academic job
“Thank you for your Non-Academic Careers for PhD’s presentation at the U of Oregon on Friday. Profoundly changed my orientation about my own deflating and frustrating academic career search. You are an inspiration.”
Advising For Advisors
- What graduate advisors and programs need to do right now to help their students
- The most common Ph.D./grad school advising pitfalls
- Preparing Ph.D.s for non-academic work
- The best resources for grad school/Ph.D. advisors
Please contact me at email@example.com to discuss your specific group’s goals and needs and to discuss rates. I enjoy working with groups and am happy to tailor my presentation to your interests.
A Workshop Testimonial:
“I just wanted to thank you for your workshop on Interviewing and Overcoming the Imposter Syndrome. I honestly have never attended such a meaningful and helpful workshop to prepare for the job market. So many aspects of the workshop were helpful, but to name a few:
- The amount of detail on the content we should include in our interview answers (and other job documents).
- Providing actual examples/templates we could use to model how to frame our interview answers.
- Providing specific content for most major interview questions and required documents.
- Strategies on how to shift our beliefs about our abilities.
- Suggestions on how to reframe responses to sound more authoritative. You definitely understand our “positionality” and how we can quickly shift to the role of a professor without having to take years of real world experience to get there.
- Finally, all your advice on understanding the nuances and politics of academia.
I feel like I could go on and on, but this was definitely the most helpful advice I have received in my academic career. Next year, they need to give you a whole day!”
I’m always happy to discuss ideas and proposals for workshops with your group, and strive to make my services available and affordable even to struggling graduate students groups! Please email me with questions or inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!