Love the blog? Then get the book. It also makes a great gift for all the struggling grad students in your life.
(For bulk orders for use in classes, seminars, and workshops, please call Crown Publishing /Random House Customer Service at 1-800-733-3000.)
“You tell the truth, you tell it well. In the crowded and fetid swamp that is the job market, that is oxygen.” – a reader
“If you would like your academic career to begin in delusion and end in disillusionment, then by all means, ignore Karen Kelsky. If, however, you want unvarnished straight talk about the academic job market—and how to navigate it—then heed her, and heed her now.” —Rebecca Schuman, education columnist for Slate.
At The Professor Is In, we have a particular commitment to supporting Black and Indigenous women in the academy. This is a core company mission. If you are a member of these communities, and finances are an issue in working with us, please get in touch to discuss possible arrangements.
A brief glossary of terms used in blog posts:
- VAP – Visiting Assistant Professor
- NTT – Non-Tenure Track
- TT – Tenure Track
- SLAC – Small Liberal Arts College
- HBCU – Historically Black College or University
- PWI – Predominantly White Institution
- ABD – All But Dissertation (the stage where courses and exams are done and only the diss needs to be written and defended)
- URM – Underrepresented Minority
- EID – Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
- The Price You Will Pay for Work-Life Balance
- Always Have a Side Hustle, and Other Lessons I Learned from Academia – WOC Guest Post
- How to Strategize for the 2020 Job Market
- How to Maximize a Visiting Position – WOC Guest Post
- Where You Show Out Is Where I Show Out: On Micro Macro Aggressions – WOC Guest Post