Various twitter pundits are self-importantly stating that the Great Resignation will never hit academia, because nobody would give up an academic job. 17K members of the Professor Is Out Facebook private group would say otherwise, friends.
Other twitter pundits are self-importantly stating that those who DO quit academia are naive and foolish, because don’t they know that all the same problems exist “everywhere,” and NOTHING will be as good as an academic job. Again, thousands of members of the Professor Is Out private FB group talking about their delight in their non-academic jobs (some over many years) would say otherwise.
It’s just more academic exceptionalism and gaslighting.
Ponder this twitter convo, and tell me if you think The Great Resignation has not hit academia.
- It Takes Money to be Moral: Thoughts on Academic Ghosting
- Introducing More #Post-Ac Experts: Tina Fanetti and Jason Tebbe
- The Professor Is In HAS Changed, Part II, or I Don’t Give a Flying Fuck What You Wear
- “So You Want to Get a Ph.D. in the Humanities” (Take II)
- On Leaving the Cult (A Letter From a Client)