My own post-academic transition was one of the most brutal, but ultimately most gratifying things I’ve ever accomplished. I want to support others as they set out on this path. It really is OK to Quit.
Initial 30-minute phone or Skype consultation – $75
Talk with an Out-Ac Expert (introduced HERE) about your goals, background and concerns, and determine if you want to move ahead with consulting or job application help.
- $200 for a 50 minute appointment
- $350 for 2 appointments
- $500 for a set of three appointments.
Retainer Fee for Continuing Email Consults
$100 for 4 emails over a two-month period
Job Application Help for Out-Ac/Non-Ac/Alt-Ac Jobs:
- Standard Resume Editing: Clients sends a copy of their existing resume or CV. Consultant makes edits, notations and suggestions based on the existing resume content. ($100)
- Custom Resume Development: Client sends a copy of their existing resume or CV. Consultant interviews client about their work experience during a 50 minute consult, and together they edit and revise an updated version of the resume. Client and consultant walk through new resume together to discuss the purpose of the changes. ($300)
- Standard Cover Letter Review: Review and editing of an existing cover letter for a specific job or opportunity. ($100)
- Custom Cover Letter Development: Client sends a copy of a cover letter and works with the consultant in a 50-minute skype session to develop a customized cover-letter that can also be used as a template for multiple positions within a similar skill set/market. ($300)
- Interview Prep by Skype 50 minute prep for a non-ac interview: ($200).
Discounted Job-Application Packages:
- Two-document discount of 10% (doc edits to resume and cover letter, $180)
- Two-custom document discount of 10% (doc edits to resume and cover letter with skype consult, $540)
- Three-application package – $600; including a skype consult, $700
LinkedIn Profile Editing with Dr. Darcy Hannibal
- Standard LinkedIn Profile Editing: Client sets up a LinkedIn account and fills in all basic elements of their profile. Consultant reviews the profile and makes suggestions for improvements over email based on the current profile. ($100)
- Custom LinkedIn Profile Development: Client sets up a basic profile and fills in work experience, education, and any other elements that the client is comfortable completing ahead of review. Clients also sends consultant their profile link, as well as their CV or resume. Consultant meets with the client to discuss elements of the profile, areas to build, how to build them, and a strategy for networking during a 50 minute consult. This can be broken up into two 20-30 (totaling 50) minute consults to give the client time to work with initial profile edits and review after a basic contact network is established. ($300)
Out-Ac Webinars for Download
Going Post-Ac: The Non-Academic Job Search – $50
This workshop will show you how to prepare for a non-academic job, even if you’re still in graduate school. We’ll confront the incorrect belief held by many Ph.D.s (especially in the arts and humanities) that you don’t have any skills for non-academic jobs. In fact, you have loads of skills, you just haven’t learned to identify and mobilize them for jobs outside the academy. We’ll cover: Why the non-academic job search matters, Obstacles to imagining a non-academic career
Graduate school strategies for bridging academic and non-academic job searches, Identifying your translatable skills, Tips for the non-academic cover letter and resume, and Resources for the job seeker.
Targeting Your Skills for a Postac Career (with Margy Horton) – $50
Confronts the incorrect belief held by many Ph.D.s (especially in the humanities) that they don’t have any skills for non-academic jobs. In fact, you have loads of skills, you just haven’t learned to identify and name them as such, and learn to mobilize them for jobs outside the academy. Dr. Margy Horton gives you a list of 100 possible skills to consider, and walks you through a set of techniques to rewrite your record to be legible for non-academic jobs.
Starting a Small Business: The Other #Postac Option – $50
Dr. Karen explains the mental and logistical hurdles attendant upon leaving the academy to start your own business. Discusses identifying a niche, choosing a name, finding an audience, and using basic technology for blogging, websites, and invoicing. Special attention to social media marketing. Academics tend to be risk-averse–this webinar helps you lower the barrier to striking out on your own.
Small Business Material Development with Margy Horton
Create your business plans, written marketing strategies, and website copy for your own small business
Standard Review: Client sends a copy of one existing business document. Margy makes edits, notations and suggestions based on the existing content. $200
Custom Development: Client sends a copy of one existing business document (up to 1200 words). Margy interviews client about their experience, skills, and interests during a 50 minute consult, and uses the information gleaned to produce a revised or reimagined business document. Client and Margy walk through new text together to discuss the methodology and purpose of the changes, as well as the client’s next steps. $450
Comprehensive Custom Development: Client sends a copy of two existing business documents (up to 2400 words total). Margy interviews client about their experience, skills, and interests during a 50-minute consult, and uses the information gleaned to produce revised or reimagined business documents. Client and Margy hold one to two follow-up sessions to walk through new text together, discussing the methodology and purpose of the changes, as well as the client’s next steps. $600
Out-Ac Job Seeker Support Fund
Job Seeker Support Fund support is available for Post-Ac Services!
Out-Ac JSSF offers a flat 50% discount on up to 3 services in total.
To qualify for an Out-Ac JSSF you must meet the same criteria listed on the main JSSF page. Please review those before requesting this support.
JSSF slots are limited, and approved on a case-by-case basis, pending consultant availability.
Interested? Have questions? Email to inquire at: email@example.com
For an excellent compendium of resources on the transition out of the academy, see this page on Jennifer Polk’s Ph.D. to Life site.